As a home inspector I do a lot of driving each day and think I’ve seen it all (until something new occurs) …
… So how is your driving?
We came up with a few items to help you answer this question.
- The left lane on a highway (Turnpike, I95, Sawgrass Expressway, etc.) is for PASSING ONLY. After passing the vehicle in front of you, don’t just stay there, move back to the right. If you are in the left lane and cars in the center and right lanes are passing you, YOU SHOULDN’T BE THERE.
- When there is an accident on a highway on the opposite side, not affecting your side, and you slow down to a crawl to check it out YOU ARE CREATING the long delays we’ve all experienced.
- Moving over a lane for stopped emergency vehicles on a highway does not only refer to fire and law enforcement vehicles but also tow trucks, road rangers, etc.
- LIGHTS ON when driving in the rain is not in order for you to see but for YOU TO BE SEEN. Any truck that must use the side mirrors only, will not be able see you with your lights off
- EMERGENCY FLASHERS OFF when raining, everyone else already knows it is raining.
- With 2 right turn lanes and a sign saying RIGHT TURN ON RED RIGHT LANE ONLY or RIGHT TURN ON RED THIS LANE ONLY means just that. You do not have to wait for a green light to turn right from that lane.
- Left turn on red, NEVER.
- If you are anywhere in an intersection when the light turns red you RAN A RED LIGHT.
- The wide white line at an intersection is the stop line for vehicles, this is where the first car should be at a red light. There is no reason to stop 1, 2, or more car lengths behind it. The 2 narrow white lines are the crosswalk.
- When in line at a red light you should stop a few feet behind the car in front of you, no reason to be 2, 3, 4 car lengths away. Also, if you are approaching a red light and need to use your phone, do you simply stop wherever you happen to be, do your business, then gradually edge up? What makes more sense is to first stop behind the car in front of you and then do your business. Now no one is affected.
- A flashing red light is the same as a stop sign. A solid red light is not, contrary to what we have seen.
- No Parking Fire Lane (almost never observed).
So how did you do? …